Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Genesis

Once again, I'm putting myself out there in my art experiences and trying something new!!!  I wanted to draw and then paint a face!

YouTube is my go-to place for learning new techniques.  I watched several videos on how to draw faces and then paint them.  My two favorites  are Dina Wakley's video on how to draw a face
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2YwcmFTd8g

and Tamara Laporte of Willowing's video on how to draw and paint a face.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tV6vsqMl9JU&index=5&list=LLbXd40EdpkdhNGG7VrCuKRw


I had drawn a face 2 other times and was learning to improve my technique.  Again, it's a learn as you go process! 

I am going to be posting tons of pictures, so please bear with me.

I used a 12x12 piece of cardboard and covered it in gesso. I used a regular pencil and drew out her face and then used my watercolor pencil to shade  her face.

 
 
I thought her eyes were too close together, so I changed them a bit.

I used flesh colored paint and painted her face.  I used neon pink, white and red mixed together to paint her lips.  I used white to paint her eyes.

I am loving a good turquoise color right now, so I used Island Green to paint her eyes.

I then used Coral for the darker shaded areas of her face.

When I started off drawing a face, I wasn't really sure how she was going to turn out, so I didn't want to do it in my art journal, in case I messed up!  After seeing how she was coming along and being pleased with the results, I was sad she wasn't in my journal!  I was sharing her with my best friend, Shelby, and she told me I could figure out some way to affix her in my journal.  

I had the brilliant, if I don't say so myself, idea to cut her face out and glue it on my journal page.  I wasn't thrilled with how thick her neck looked, so it also gave me the opportunity to trim her neck down! LOL!

This is after I had glued her down.  


I drew her hair out and was ready to paint that in.  Well, she sat for a few days like this, because I wasn't sure how I wanted to do her hair. 

Now, I have to admit something here... I have always wanted to do some purple color in my own hair!!!!!  The bravest I have gotten is going ginger (red)!  So, I decided to live vicariously through my girl! ;)

Since purple is one of my favorite colors, I have at least 5 different colors of purple paint in my collection.  I used them all!  

I even added some neon pink, white and glitter purple!  I wanted to add some more fun, so I did a streak of the Island Green color that I used to paint her eyes.

I took some dictionary pages and ripped them up and covered the white space at the top of the two pages.  

I then took white paint and my brayer and ran it over the dictionary pages.  I also finger painted some white where I thought it needed more.

I then used my new Crafter's Workshop 6x6 butterfly stencil to make this gorgeous thing.  I sponged the black on and then did the two sides in Island Green and Neon Pink colors.  The paint seeped under the stencil and messed up the pattern some, but I still love how it turned out.

I wrote the Bible verse Proverbs 31:25 on the edge of her hair.  I used a white gel pen, but it wasn't dark enough so I went over it with a white-out pen from the dollar store.

I purposely chose the dictionary pages with strength and dignity on them and made those stand out right above those two words!

Here is a close up of her face.

I decided to name her Genesis, because Genesis means the origin of something or a beginning.  She was my first face to ever paint, so she was my beginning.  ;) 

Thanks for reading!

2 comments:

  1. This is very beautiful, Heidi! Thanks for sharing your process, and I love the name you chose for your pretty girl. Your art is really encouraging me to learn to draw.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your kind words, Damiane! I am having so much fun with all of my art journal projects! I look forward to doing more!

      Delete