Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Crock Pot Tuesday: 4/17/12

On the advice of an old friend, I am starting my first blog! This blog will entail my life as a crock pot cooking, scrapbooking, couponing, mom and wife!  

Who knows if anyone will even read this, but I am starting anyways! And so let the adventures begin!

I have now deemed Tuesdays, as Crock Pot Tuesdays.  I tried out a new recipe, Chicken Cordon Bleu.  For those of you who are on Pinterest, here is my pin of the recipe. 
Here is the actual link for the recipe.

Ok, chasing rabbits for a second here, I am THOROUGHLY addicted to Pinterest! It is my go to website for recipes, craft projects, DIY projects, sewing tips (even though I don't sew, but would love to learn), the list could go on and on!   If you don't know what Pinterest, let me explain it to you!  

From their about section on pinterest.com: "What is Pinterest? Pinterest is a virtual pinboard. Pinterest lets you organize and share all the beautiful things you find on the web. People use pinboards to plan their weddings, decorate their homes, and organize their favorite recipes.  Best of all, you can browse pinboards created by other people. Browsing pinboards is a fun way to discover new things and get inspiration from people who share your interests." 

Ok, back to the recipe!  I had actually cooked a ham in my crock pot on Sunday (another recipe I found on Pinterest), which came in handy for today's recipe.

Slow Cooker Chicken Cordon Bleu
recipe from:  AllRecipes.com 

6 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves 

1 (10.75 ounce) can condensed cream of chicken soup 
1 cup milk 
4 ounces sliced ham 
4 ounces sliced Swiss cheese 
1 (8 ounce) package herbed dry bread stuffing mix 
1/4 cup butter, melted

Mix together the cream of chicken soup and milk in a small bowl. Pour enough of the soup into a slow cooker to cover the bottom.
Layer chicken breasts over the sauce.
Cover with slices of ham and then Swiss cheese.
Pour the remaining soup over the layers, stirring a little to distribute between layers.
Sprinkle the stuffing on top, and drizzle butter over stuffing.
Cover, and cook on Low for 4 to 6 hours, or 2 to 3 hours on High.
I took the cream of chicken soup and mixed it with a can of milk (just filled the soup can to the top with milk and mixed it with the soup).   Poured enough of the soup to cover the bottom of the crock pot.  I was being a good girl and following directions!  My crock pot is a six quart, so it only fit three chicken breasts on the bottom.   So, I placed the chicken breasts on top of the soup, cut a wedge of ham and put that on top of the chicken and then the slice of swiss cheese on top of that.  Repeat with all three chicken breasts.  Pour a more of the soup on top of those. Then I placed two more chicken breasts on top of those and repeated the process.  I then poured the rest of the soup over the top of everything. I dumped the stuffing over the top of it all. I used Great Value chicken flavored  bread stuffing (6 ounces).   I melted the butter and poured it over the top, and realized you could never go wrong with more butter and just used the rest of the cube.  Set the crock pot on high for 3 hours and go! 
I made brussell sprouts with a cheese sauce to go with the chicken. I have to admit, that it turned out pretty darn good! It was super rich and had great flavor! It was very filling! My husband and daughter liked it! My son, who is almost 3, kind of picked at it. He is going through sort of a picky stage.  The chicken was so tender it was breaking apart while I was trying to serve it! I couldn't even eat all of my chicken, because it was so rich! So so good though! 

Well, that is my adventure for the night! Please stay tuned in for 
more Adventures of me, Heidi the Happy Homemaker!   Thanks for reading! 

No comments:

Post a Comment