Thursday, April 26, 2012

Cheesy Enchilada Casserole

This week, I am on a roll. I tried out another new recipe tonight.   I called my mom and asked her if she and my dad would be my guinea pigs for dinner tonight. ;) So, my parents came over and this is what I made for dinner.

Cheesy Enchilada Casserole
(Recipe from Just Get Off Your Butt and Bake)
http://www.sixsistersstuff.com/2011/10/cheesy-enchilada-casserole.html

Ingredients

1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
1 large onion, chopped or season with Onion powder or minced onion
2 1/2 cups salsa
1 can (15 ounces) black beans or red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
1/4 cup reduced-fat Italian salad dressing
2 tablespoons reduced-sodium taco seasoning
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
6 flour tortillas (8 inches)
1 small can of drained corn, or about 1 1/4 cups of frozen corn (optional)
3/4 cup reduced-fat sour cream *Note: I used 1/2 cup
2 cups (8 ounces) shredded reduced-fat Mexican cheese blend
1 cup shredded lettuce
1 medium tomato, chopped
1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro

Directions

In a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain.
Stir in the salsa, beans, dressing, sour cream, corn (optional), taco seasoning and cumin.
Spoon a generous layer of meat mixture on bottom of 2 quart baking dish. Sprinkle with grated cheese.
Place a flour or corn tortilla on top of meat mixture. Layer with half of the meat mixture, and cheese. Repeat as many layers as you like.
The last & final layer should be a healthy dose of grated cheese.
Cover with foil that has been sprayed with pam or other and bake at 400° for 25 minutes, or until hot & bubbly.
Let stand for 5 minutes before topping with lettuce, tomato and cilantro. Yield: 8 servings. 



First off, I used ground turkey. I cut the onion up and mixed it in with the turkey to cook.  Once that was cooked, I mixed in the corn, black beans, ground cumin, taco seasoning mix, salsa and the Italian dressing (which I found so odd to be in a Mexican style dish). 

 Isn't this mixture so pretty?!?

After this, I mixed in the sour cream.  You put a layer of meat on the bottom of the casserole dish, then put cheese on top of that. 

This was the first layer 

I placed two wheat tortillas, side by side on top of this layer. Then you repeat the process.  Meat, cheese, tortilla, meat, cheese, tortilla. I only used 4 tortillas, but it worked. 

 This is what it looked like after all the layers had been put on.

I covered it with foil that had been sprayed with cooking spray, and baked it at 400 degrees for 25 minutes.  

We all really liked it! We ate it with tortilla chips. It could very easily be made into a warm dip, without the tortillas! My mom said that on a scale of 1 to 10, it was a 12, so that was a very nice compliment!  My husband came home for lunch and ate a good portion of it! He loves lasagna and this is kind of like a Mexican lasagna.   

 This is all that is left of it!  

I will definitely be make this again! Another great new recipe for my family! Thank you again, Pinterest! 


No comments:

Post a Comment