Saturday, August 24, 2013

Cheese tortellini and sausage

I found this recipe on Pinterest the other day. Both the hubby and I thought it looked yummy, so I decided to try it! It was so simple to make and it had great flavor. My kids liked it too, so that was a plus!

Ingredients
1 (19 ounce) bag frozen cheese tortellini 
1 pound sausage (Italian)  I used chicken sausage
1 bag of fresh spinach (I didn't use the whole bag, but wished that I had, because it was yummy in the dish)
2 cans Italian style diced tomatoes
2 cans low-fat chicken broth
1 (8 ounce) cream cheese block, cut into cubes
 
Directions 
1. Brown the sausage in a skillet until cooked and crumbled. Drain.
2. Add the sausage and remaining ingredients to a crock pot. Stir to combine.
3.Cook, on LOW for 5 hours, stirring twice during cooking.
 
 I squeezed the sausage out of their casings and browned it in the skillet

I added everything to the crock pot and mixed it around. 
My daughter added the spinach in.

This is what it looked like after about 4 and a half hours or so.

This was super yummy! I really liked this recipe and how simple and tasty it is!

2 comments:

  1. Looks good, Heidi! I'm curious. Was the tortellini mushy after having been in there 4 hrs?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was meant to cook for 5 hours, but at the 4.5 hour mark, it looked done to me. It was boiling and I didn't want the tortellini to get soggy. They are frozen when you put them in, and I thought that they would be soggy by then too, but they turned out ok. Not el dente, but not mushy either! ;)

      Delete