Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Crock Pot Creamy Spaghetti



Another edition of Crock Pot Tuesday....
This week, I tried out another new recipe. I follow Budget Savvy Diva on Facebook. She posts a new recipe every day! I have made her Pizza in a Crock Pot several times and we all love it! Well, I had commented on one of her posts that we liked that recipe so much and she suggested that we try this one too. 


http://www.budgetsavvydiva.com/2012/04/crock-pot-creamy-spaghetti-recipe/ 
Crock Pot Creamy Spaghetti
-1 pound lean ground beef
-1 cup of chopped onions
-1 Teaspoon of Italian Seasoning
-1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
-1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
-2 Minced garlic cloves
-1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
-2 jars of pasta sauce – should be around 70 ounces of sauce
-1 pound spaghetti noodles
-1/2 cup Parmesan Cheese
-4 ounces cream cheese
-1-2 cups chicken broth
-Olive Oil


Instructions
Heat up a small amount of oil in a pan – saute onions. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute. Add beef and brown. Add all seasonings.
In your crock pot over high heat add one jar of pasta sauce.
Layer next with broke spaghetti noodles ( you just break them in half)
Layer with beef.
Layer with Parmesan cheese and dollops of cream cheese.
Layer with 2nd jar of pasta sauce.
Cook for 3 hours – stir once add chicken stock ( amount will depend on how little moisture is left) and cook for one more hour.

 I cut up two smalls onions and sauteed them in the olive oil.  Then I added the garlic.  I used ground turkey and cooked all of that together with the onions and the rest of the seasonings (except the pepper, because I don't like pepper). 

I poured one jar of sauce in the crock pot and put the angel hair pasta on top of that. 

Then I poured the meat mixture over the top of that.

I put the Parmesan cheese and cream cheese on top of the meat.  
I poured the second jar of sauce on top of that and set the timer for 3 hours on high. Around 2 1/2 hours, I stirred it. The noodles were all clumped together.  It says to add 1-2 cups of chicken broth, but after adding 2 cups, it still needed more because it was so dry. With all the liquid in it now, I was able to pick apart the noodles. I ended up adding 2 whole cans of chicken broth. It cooked for almost another hour.  When I went to serve it up, it had majorly stuck to the bottom of the crock pot. It just seemed like there was never enough moisture.

The finished dinner. My family has always ate corn with our spaghetti. That was something that I grew up with and now I make it that way for my kids too!

So the verdict?  My husband and son didn't really like it. My best friend and my daughter ate two plates of it! I liked it, but it is not one of my favorites! I like the Pizza in a Crock Pot much much better! For future reference, I am going to make my spaghetti the good old fashion way!


1 comment:

  1. The recipe said not to cook them! If I do it again, maybe that's the way it should be done or another type of pasta!

    ReplyDelete