Thursday, January 1, 2015

Pumpkin pie, from scratch!

Right after Halloween, the kids and I were at Ralphs.  I was surprised when  they still had pumpkins left. There was a worker stocking in that department. I asked him how much the pumpkins were and he said, "hold on, let me go ask."  He came back and said, "how about a $1 each? We want to get rid of them!"   I couldn't believe it! We ended up getting buying 4 pumpkins!  One was a nice 18 pounder (that is still sitting on my kitchen table on January 1st, lol!)  and 4 baking pumpkins.  I honestly didn't know that there was a different kind of pumpkin to bake with, since I have always used a can! (hangs her head in shame!) The pumpkin pie recipe was on a sticker right on the pumpkin.  

I cut the pumpkin up and cleaned all the seeds out of it and de-stringed it as best as I could!   It was super stringy! 

Who knew that such a small pumpkin would have so many seeds in it?!?

I chopped up the pumpkin and put it in a baking dish.  I didn't know how much meat it would make, since it didn't seem that thick.  I covered it in foil and baked it.

It came out like this.  The skin just peeled off and it was all flesh!

My hand mixer had broke, so I ended up mixing all the ingredients in the BLENDER!  A first for me!  LOL!  I had to do a little bit at a time, but it worked!  The pumpkin is sort of dry, so I just had to make sure there was enough moisture to blend it! 

My daughter was helping me! She is a good mama's helper!  We poured the mix into the graham cracker crust. It  tasted like pumpkin pie, so I figured we were doing something right! ;)

Getting ready to go in the oven

All done! And I marked it with a heart!  We had it for Thanksgiving and it was pretty tasty!

No comments:

Post a Comment