Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Mixed media, take 1!

So, in starting this new Documented Faith project, I have discovered the wonderful world of art journaling! It is beautiful! Basically, it is creating art!  It can be painting, mixed media, coloring or all of the above!  I went crazy pinning away on my new Pinterest art journaling board.  I found a YouTube tutorial about a mixed media piece and wanted to try it out.    I loosely based this project on the video that I watched.

Today, I went to Michaels and I bought this watercolor pad (used 40% off coupon!), gesso (on clearance for $3.99!), a foam paint brush, a few $0.15 stamps (90% off!) and a white Gelly Roll pen.  My sweet sister gave me some money for Christmas, so of course, that meant new  craft supplies! YAY ME!!! Thanks, Laura!!! Love you!

I started off with some dictionary pages, from the one I bought at the 99 Cent Only Store.  I left a few whole and then ripped some and glue sticked them down on the page.

I put some glitter washi tape down. I didn't really like this washi tape, because it didn't stick very well.  This was all I had left of it, so I figured it would work great to use for texture!

I covered the entire page in gesso.  Gesso is used as a base for painting. 

Gesso covered page

Love my spray mists!

I sprayed some spray inks on the page.  I tried to blot it with a napkin and that's how the dark smudge at the top happened.   But hey, it's my first time trying this out, so I'm learning through the process! ;)

I took the caps off the bottles and dripped some colors directly on the page!   It was looking dull and dark, so this helped give it a pop of color! 

I used a spaghetti sauce lid, a water bottle lid and a juice bottle lid dipped in paint to make the circles. 

I then stamped some of my new stamps in different colors on the page.  The key is done in white, silver and purple.  The crown is done in black.

Hope and faith are my two words for this year! I put some sticker letters down and painted around them. 

I like how the painting on the letters kind of look like a sunburst with the wonky edges!


I splattered some white paint on top of everything and did a few silver glitter glue dots around the page also.

For my first mixed media attempt, I am very pleased with how it turned out!!!  It was super fun trying something new and being messy!  

Now, what can I make next?!?  ;)

2 comments:

  1. I just love this and how you showed the creation of it ! Fabulous !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Vickie! I am totally enjoying this art aspects of all of this!

      Delete