Thursday, October 11, 2012

2 new recipes!

Today was a good day! First off, the weather was absolutely GORGEOUS! I think it barely got to 80 degrees today. There were beautiful clouds everywhere.  They had forecasted a 30% chance of rain, but it never did where I live.  It was so nice, that I walked to pick up my daughter from school!   Then, my kids and I met a friend and her two kids at the library. The kids played for a bit and my friend and I got to sit and talk!  After the library, we came home for a little while and then went and picked up my mom from work.  She came over and got to hang out with the kids and I.    My dad finished his job and then joined us for dinner. 

I tried a new dinner recipe and a new dessert recipe!  Both were really yummy and I am so pleased!

Slow-cooker chicken enchiladas
Ingredients:
4-6 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (frozen works fine!)
1 packet taco seasoning
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1 small onion, chopped
1 (4 oz) can green chilis
1 teaspoon lime juice
1/4 cup water
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 cup sour cream
2 cups cheddar cheese (any cheese would work- use your favorite)
1 can enchilada sauce (you can use red or green)
green onions, chopped
olives, sliced
tortillas (I usually get about 12 good-sized enchiladas)


Directions:

Spray slow cooker with non-stick cooking spray. Place chicken breasts inside slow cooker. Add taco seasoning, garlic powder, onion powder, chili powder, onion, green chilis, lime juice, and water on top of chicken. Cook on low for 6-8 hours or high for 3-4 hours.
Once it is finished baking, shred chicken with 2 forks (it should come apart really easy).
Mix together cream of chicken soup and sour cream.
Stir half of the soup mixture in with the shredded chicken. Spread the other half of the soup mixture on the bottom of a 9x13 pan (or two 9x9" pans).
Place a scoop of the chicken mixture on a tortilla. Sprinkle on a little bit of cheese and roll up. Place seam-side down in the pan.
Repeat with the rest of the tortillas.
Pour enchilada sauce over the top and cover with remaining cheese. Top with green onions and olives.
Bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes.


In the crock pot it goes: 6 frozen chicken breasts, 1 packet of taco seasoning, 1 small onion, garlic powder, onion powder, chili powder, 1 can of green chilis, some water and a huge squirt of lemon juice, because I didn't have any lime.  I set it on high for 4.5 hours.

Here's what it looks like after a while. The juices from the chicken and the water and lemon juice were making a nice juicy, yummy smelling chicken!

When it was done, I pulled the chicken out of the crock pot and shredded it with 2 forks.  It was so tender!  I took the cream of mushroom soup and sour cream and mixed those together. I added a little over half to the chicken.  I didn't want to waste the juice (seasonings, water and lemon juice) in the crock pot, so I added that to the chicken/soup/sour cream mix too.  It made it super moist and even more juicy! 

I had taken the rest of the cream of chicken and sour cream mix and spread it on the bottom of the pan, per the recipe.  I then took a wheat tortilla and put a good sized portion of chicken in it and added some cheese, then rolled it up and put it in the pan, continuing until the pan was full. I had more chicken left, so I pulled out an 8x8 pan and filled that one up too. That pan had enchilada sauce on the bottom of the pan instead.

This is the 9x13 pan, with 8 enchiladas in it.

Both pans full!

I poured the enchilada sauce over the top of both pans and then covered them in cheese!  I put them in the oven for about 30 minutes.

All done and ready to eat!

Spanish rice and refried beans     

Yummy!  These were a big hit with the whole family! My parents really liked them and they eat Mexican food all the time, so I was really glad that they enjoyed them!

And for dessert, I tried out another new recipe that I found on Pinterest.  With fall finally here, I am so excited to start baking.  And I have been wanting to try some new things with pumpkin! Fitting for this time of year! 


Pumpkin Gooey Butter Cake
Recipe from Paula Deen
Cake:
1 18 1/4-ounce package yellow cake mix
1 egg
8 tablespoons butter, melted


Filling:
1 15-ounce can of pumpkin
1 8-ounce package cream cheese, softened
3 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
8 tablespoons butter, melted
1 16-ounce box powdered sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon nutmeg


Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
To make the cake, combine all of the ingredients and mix well. Pat the mixture into a lightly greased 13x9-inch baking pan.
Prepare filling: In a large bowl, beat the cream cheese and pumpkin until smooth. Add the eggs, vanilla, and butter and beat together. Next, add the powdered sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and mix well. Spread pumpkin mixture over cake batter and bake for 40 to 50 minutes. Make sure not to over bake as the center should be a little gooey.

The cake mixed and put as the bottom layer

The pumpkin mixed all together and then put on top of the yellow cake mix

All done! 
 
It was super yummy, but very very sweet! I think that I won't make it with so much powdered sugar next time.  It was supposed to be gooey in the middle, but after 40 minutes of being in the oven, it was almost like jello in the middle.  So I left it in the oven for more time. Unfortunately, the bottom burned slightly, so I was upset about that.  But oh well, if you eat it without the burnt bottom, it is good! ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment