Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Pumpkin French Toast Bake

Delish!

Another Pinterest recipe tried! Check! 

I used these two different recipes and sort of combined them!

For starters, I melted a stick of butter in the microwave.  It then called for 1 cup of brown sugar.  I started off with 1/2 cup of brown sugar and added 1 cup of pumpkin puree (what I had left from the can that I used to make the pumpkin pancakes on Saturday).  I didn't measure, but added some pumpkin pie spice, and mixed it all together. It didn't taste quite right, so I add some more pumpkin pie spice and the other 1/2 cup of brown sugar.   Whisked those together, until they were completely mixed.

I used an old cake pan of mine. I put tin foil down, for easier clean up! What mom isn't all about that? ;)
I poured the pumpkin, sugar, butter mix in the bottom of it.

Yesterday at the 99 Cent Only Store, I found a loaf of Texas Toast and figured it would be great for this recipe!  I cut the crusts off and put down one layer of toast.  I had to Tetris some pieces to make it work, but it did! 

Next, you take 4 eggs, 1 1/2 cup milk and 1 teaspoon of vanilla and beat those together. Once mixed, pour half of it over the top of the bread.

Then, you add another layer of toast. Next time, I will get 2 loaves of it! I had to use some regular sandwich bread to fill in some gaps!

You pour the last half of the egg mixture over the top of this layer of bread.

I sprinkled some pumpkin pie spice on top and some cinnamon and sugar, until it looked good! ;)  You then cover it and put it the fridge for overnight. I put mine in around 12:30am last night and pulled it out around 11am to bake it.  The recipe says to cover it for at least 6 hours!
 
This is what it looked like after I pulled it out of the fridge.  The pumpkin mix on the bottom had soaked into the bread.  It was an ooey gooey mess!
 
You cover it with foil and bake for 20 minutes at 350 degrees.  When the 20 minutes is up, pull the foil off and bake uncovered for another 25 minutes! Man, my house smelled so good!   When it is done, the bread is cooked through, but will still be moist.

Fresh out of the oven!  

My son and I are enjoying a piece right now!  You can sprinkle some powdered sugar on top and pour a little bit of maple syrup on it!  It is so yummy! My son loves it!









1 comment:

  1. Ok, this sounds yummy too! I will have to try this one out toon too!

    ReplyDelete