Monday, February 2, 2015

Get over your fear of the blank page!

My new Dylusions Creative Journal
I am so excited about this art journal! I am having fun watching tons of YouTube tutorials on mixed media!   I had a few pins that had given me inspiration and I had to break my fear of the blank page! So, here goes my first page in my new art journal! 

I started off by gessoing the first page.  I used an old gift card to smooth out the gesso and make it very thin! In doing so, it helps the page to keep from buckling! Since I don't have a heating tool, I used my hair blow dryer to dry the gesso.

I used 2 dictionary pages (from the dollar store dictionary), some new stencils from Michaels and spray misted them with silver, purple and teal.

One of the new things that I learned from the tutorials that I've been watching, is that you never waste paint!  Most art journalers have a junk journal lying around.  Now, you may ask, what is a junk journal?  A junk journal is a journal that you can smash all your extra paint, spray mists or whatever into! Since I am just starting out with all of this FUN stuff, I only have the one journal so far, so I just used the very last page in it.  When I was done spray misting with the stencils, I flipped them over and smacked them down on the page! Voila, a beautiful start of another page! Any who...


Now, I have 2 very pretty dictionary pages all ready to be ripped up and stuck on my gessoed page. 

I just ripped up the pages and Mod Podged them down.  Side note here, I found small 2 ounce bottles of  Mod Podge at the Dollar Tree!  Mod Podge can be used as a glue and a sealer.  This was actually my first time ever using it!  It is pretty pricey, so I was happy to find it cheap!

I had initially wanted to base my page off of a pin that I had found on Pinterest, but once I got started I changed my mind and went in another direction.


I picked out some scrapbook paper that I liked and then cut some leaves out of them.

I hand doodled on them and Mod Podged them down.

I punched out some hearts and did the same thing. I used some purple and turquoise paint to grunge up the page.  I finger painted it! So fun!

I added a few more elements and decided to use a quote that I had found on Pinterest.

 

 I really like how it turned out! It was very fun to make and I learned some new things in the process!




No comments:

Post a Comment