Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Color my world!

This art journal spread was inspired by an Instagram post that I saw by Amy Tangerine. She used washi tape and watercolors.  Last week, I had bought the Target brand watercolor gel crayons and I wanted to try them out.  I picked out some washi tape in a rainbow of colors! I knew my 8 year daughter would love this!

After gessoing my page, I stuck 3 strips of each color at the top of the page. (Except the floral pattern, which I was using for brown, I did 4 strips of it since it was so thin!) 

I then took the gel crayons and colored down from the washi tape.  

This is what the page looked like with all the colors of the gel crayons.  Now, I have never used these before, so I wasn't exactly sure how they worked.  I took a water bottle and sprayed the page.

Immediately, the colors started to run!  I LOVE it!  

I sprayed it again and then took a blow dryer and dried it.  I had put a rag under the book and newspapers under each page to protect the previous pages, but the colors still ran.  

Apparently, when I gessoed the page, I didn't get a thick coat on this part of the right page (this is the backside of it).  The colors seeped through, so I just took some masking tape and covered it up.  When I do my next layout, I will just gesso all over the tape. 

I really like the entire page and kind of wanted to leave it as is, but I felt like it needed some words.

I used neon purple to paint "Color my world".  I really like how this turned out!

No comments:

Post a Comment