Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Create your own sunshine

Hello, it's me again.  The funny thing is that since I have dived into the world of mixed media, I think everything I see can be used in my art journal.  I walk through the dollar store and think of what normal everyday items I can buy to use in it! Crazy right?!?  Maybe... maybe not!  I guess repurposing things isn't such a bad thing!

So in that frame of mind... let's talk about my newest piece!  Saturday night, I was coloring my hair.   I was opening the box of hair color and I pull out this cardboard piece.  I look at it and immediately think of how I could use it in my journal!  So, it brings me to this! 

I started off by gessoing my page, of course.  I then Mod Podged the piece down and then gessoed over the top of it. 
It's a piece of cardboard, so it's very thick and was pulling up from the page, so I just added some more glue.

I had previously made (for my Bible journaling) a sunburst stencil out of a cereal box.  Well, as it was to fit my Bible, it was too small for the journal, so I made another larger one! 


I used orange craft paint and a piece of a makeup sponge and dabbed the paint using a polka dot stencil.
 


I then laid the sunburst stencil on top of the orange polka dot page, masking or covering up the other side and spray misted with Heidi Swapp Color Shine in gold.
So sparkly and pretty!

I had watched a Donna Downey Inspiration Wednesday video and was inspired to try out a new technique!
I took Elmer's white school glue and drizzled it in random design all around the page. 

I forgot to mention that I ripped up a dictionary page and put in the center of my "flower" and Mod Podged it down. I thought it was funny, because two of the words showing are whimsical and window!  And that is what this piece is! 

I had just bought some liquid glitter watercolor paint at Michaels. It was marked 75% off, because it was missing one of the 4 bottles in the set, so it was a great deal! While I was talking to my mom, inspiration hit me.  I decided to use my finger and fill in the half circle sun part with the yellow.   I just brightened up the page!


After letting the glue dry overnight, this is how it looked.  I had plans for it, but things change! 

I picked out some fun scrapbook paper for my petals and glued them down.


I used some Tattered Angels Chalkboard Shimmer Mist and painted the page.  Now, my idea (from the tutorial) was to peel up the glue and it would leave these cool squigglely lines all over the page in white with the blue as the background color. Well, as I started to peel up the glue, it was ripping my page, so I stopped and just left it.  I like how it looks!    
I trimmed the flower petals down and outlined some of the details on the paper in pen.

I used a brown ink pad and smudged the edges of the petals to dirty them up.  I glued down some bits of scrappaper to make the stem of the flower and then smudged green paint on it.  I doodled in the inside of the flower using my Micron orange pen and Sharpie hot pink pen.  Now, when I took this picture, it didn't look right to me, so I wanted to add some more details, but I will get to in a sec.

I had bought a clearance alphabet stamp set a Michaels and was using it for the phrase on the sun page.  I have learned that when you put your cling stamps on the acrylic block, you turn them upside down and tap the ink pad on them.  It keeps you from getting ink on the edges of the stamps and makes your stamping less messy!

Create your own sunshine!

Here is the two page layout, but again, I wasn't happy with my flower!

I took some leftover petals from my project last week and trimmed them down to size.  I doodled some leave designs on them and glued them on.  I then outlined them in green paint.   So much better now!

Here is my finished piece!

No comments:

Post a Comment