Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Leftover Thanksgiving turkey chili

We had tons of turkey leftover from Thanksgiving. I didn't want it to go to waste, so I decided to make chili again.  I am hoping that it will taste the same as ground turkey, with just maybe a different texture, because it is not ground up.  
I finely chopped up the turkey.  I cut enough up to make a double batch, but once I started mixing all the ingredients together, there was no way a double batch was going to fit into my crock pot!  So, I improvised. I had tons of meat, so I just added some extra beans, tomato sauce and a tad more seasoning! I hope it turns out alright, so here goes nothing! 

Game Day Chili
1 pound lean ground beef (I used our leftover turkey from Thanksgiving)
1 medium green bell pepper, chopped
1 small onion, chopped
2 cans (15 oz.) red kidney beans, undrained (I used one 29 oz can of dark red kidney beans)
2 packages (1.25oz.) chili seasoning mix
1 can (15oz.) tomato sauce (I used two 8 oz cans of tomato sauce)
1 can (10oz.) diced tomatoes and green chilies (Rotel)

I added:
-1 can of black beans, undrained
-1 can of fire roasted garlic diced tomatoes, undrained
-1 extra 8 ounce can of tomato sauce
-1 can of Pinto beans, undrained
-1 extra onion
-about a 1/4 of a packet of taco seasoning... I thought an extra package of chili seasoning might be too overbearing!

Leftover Thanksgiving turkey all chopped up in the pan

Added the onion and bell pepper. I always think that looks so pretty! 

I drizzled a little extra virgin olive oil on it and cooked it

These are some of the extra things that I added

Mixed all the ingredients together and set the crock pot on high for 3 1/2 hours.

All done!
 
A little dollop of sour cream and lots of cheese!   
Super yummy! I actually got to sit down with my honey and eat dinner together, because he was off tonight! It was nice!

No comments:

Post a Comment