Saturday, September 29, 2012

Soft Taco Bake

On Wednesday, September 25, I made a soft taco bake. I had bought an Old El Paso kit, but modified it a bit! Much better!

 The kit came with tortillas and they smelled nasty and were kind of dry, so I threw those out. I used wheat tortillas that I had already.

 I made some refried beans to go in the bake. I added a few dollups of butter, some milk and LOTS of cheese. So creamy! My daughter and I were eating them out of the pan!

We hardly eat beef, so this is ground turkey cooking, with the sauce mix

 
For easy cleanup, I put foil in my 9x9 glass pan.  First layer of wheat tortillas down

Then some beans

Then some cheese (that came with the kit) and the saucy meat mix on top of that
 
I then put some regular cheese on top of that.  So, the layers were tortilla, beans, cheese, meat, more cheese and then next layer. I think there were 6 layers in all.

After all the layers were done, it went into the toaster oven.  Even though it's fall technically, it is still over 100 degrees here, so I use my toaster oven all the time! 

This is what it looked like with it was done. The tortillas curled up on the edges a little, but that's ok! 

My slice of soft taco bake with a bit of sour cream on top

I really liked this alot! It was super good and oh my gosh, filling! It was like a Mexican lasagna!  Which for those of you who don't know, lasagna is my absolute favorite dish ever!!!!  I will not buy that kit again, but will totally do it myself! Easy to do! 


2 comments:

  1. THAT looks super yummy!!! What would you replace the 'sauce' with since you won't use the kit? (asking so I can try it lol). Also, what kind og cheese would you use to replace the liquid cheese?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a powder mix that smelled like taco seasoning. I would use that! The cheese that came with the kit, was kind of like a nacho-ish Velveta. It had a bite to it, but it was a good kind of spicy!

      Delete