Monday, July 9, 2012

Describe 3 significant memories from your childhood.

Blogging Challenge Day 20: Describe 3 significant memories from your childhood.

 1.  1993 trip to Canada
Every year, my sister and I would visit our grandparents for almost 6 weeks out of summer.   We took many trips over the years, but this has to be my most favorite one!   When my grandparents picked us up at the Sacramento airport, they told us that we were taking a special trip.   We were driving up the Pacific Coast Highway all the way to Washington and then taking a ferry over to Victoria, British Columbia and staying there for a while.  For those of you who have never driven PCH, it is a beautiful drive all along the West Coast.  We started in Paradise in Northern California, and drove through Oregon and Washington.  We did many cool things along the way. We visited the big redwood Trees of Mystery in Klamath, California; we dug for clams on the Oregon beaches; and visited the Tillamook Cheese Factory and to this day, I love Tillamook cheese!  We had lunch in the Space Needle for my 16th birthday. I hate heights, and even though it is all caged up at the top of the Needle, it was super scary for me! I clung to my grandma's hand and wouldn't let go!  And once we were in Victoria, BC, we went to many other places. We went to Butchart Gardens, Royal British Museum, Crystal Garden and we even went to a wax museum.   We stayed at Shelter Bay Resort in Campbell River. My sister and I had so much fun, exploring the beach and going fishing!  We saw a 20 legged star-fish! They had no dock, so the boats had to be carried to the ocean on a forklift! It was the weirdest thing that we had ever seen!   I just talked to my Papa the other day and he asked me what my favorite trip was that we had taken. I told him this one and he said, I knew that you were going to say that!


My sister and I on the deck of the ferry. It was so windy! 

This is my Grandma, my sister (who was 13 1/2 years old here) and I (who was turning 16), on the ferry to Victoria, BC.

My sister and I in front of the Royal British Museum.

2. High school Grand Canyon trip
My sophomore year of high school, we took a trip to the Grand Canyon.  I went to a private Christian school, so my whole high school was only a 100 kids or so. I think there were about 75 of us that went on the trip.  I had never seen the Grand Canyon before. The morning that we got there, it started to lightly snow! It was so cold!  I had the brave, or stupid idea, whichever way you want to look at it, to hike all the way to the bottom of the Canyon and see the Colorado River.  I wore snow boots, thinking that it would be best, because of the weather. Well, I ended up twisting both of my ankles.  But hey, I made it all the way to the bottom and took a picture of the Colorado River to prove it! ;)  I don't remember exactly, but I think that it is an 11 mile hike to the bottom!   Well, I proceeded to try and make it back up to the top.  I made it all the way up to a mile from the top and I couldn't go any further.  Another student had mild hypothermia and one of our teachers had pulled his hamstring. So, the three of us were waiting at a rest stop or something like that.  We ended up having to be carried out of the canyon. Wow, what memories! But hey, that trip was pretty awesome! 

3. Trip to my Grandma and Papa's house for Christmas

From left to right: my Grandma, my Mom, my sister, Laura; my Dad, me and my Papa!

For the Christmas of 1990, my parents, my sister and I drove up north to visit my grandparents in Paradise, California.   We live in Southern California, where the weather is pretty warm.  The thing about this trip that was the most significant, was that it snowed! It was our very first ever White Christmas! We had so much fun playing in the snow and throwing snowballs at each other! Unfortunately, my Grandma slipped and fell in the snow, and her wedding ring came off. My mom came to the rescue and found it! It was so cool!

 




No comments:

Post a Comment